The Commander in Chief of the Ambazonia Defence Forces, Lucas Ayaba Cho has declined responsibility for the kidnap of Swiss and Italian nationals in the South West region of Cameroon.
His outing comes after the Government of Cameroon on Tuesday confirme dit had freed 18 hostages, including five italian and seven swiss tourists as well as six municipal authorities.
The tourists were abducted on Monday as they embarked on a vist to the twin lakes in Mundemba, Cameroon’s Minister of Communictaions Issa Tchiroma Bakary said.
They were later freed by elements of the Rapid Intervention Batallion as the kidnapping have been blamed on separatists in the area.
The Ambazonia Defence who have so far claimed responsibility for most of the abductions has however denied any involvement in Monday’s events.
“ADF does not take hostages. ADF arrest enablers and collaborators and does not arrest foreign nationals,” the « Commander-in-Chief » of the Ambazonia Defence Forces, Cho Ayaba told Reuters.
However, other armed groups have emerged in the course of the Anglophone crisis that have staged several attacks on Cameroon’s security forces and taken hostages in recent weeks.