The battle line has been drawn between chiefs in Buea and the administration over celebrations of this year’s edition of the National Day in that part of the country.
Over 30 chiefs in Buea took to the streets at the weekend to protest calling on the Governor of the South West region Bernard Okalia Bilai to apologise and withdraw his statement ordering the chiefs to march with their subjects on May 20.
The chiefs said they had been asked by their subjects as well as elites to march and express their discontent at the Governor’s attitude towars them.
Theyy asked the Governor to show respect to a people and tradition while insisting they will not back down on their position.
Saturday’s protest came after the Divisional Officer of Buea Paul Wokam Kouam threatened to sanction the chiefs for publicly going against the Governor in a previous communiqué signed by the President of the South West Chiefs Conference HRH Mafany Njie.
Paul Wokam Kouam said the actions of the chiefs will instead help demobilise the population ahead of the May 20 celebrations which to hi mis a challenge to the administration.
The brawl between the chiefs and the dministration all started when the Governor of the outh West region Bernard Okalia Bilai ordered all chiefs in Buea to march with their subjects on May 20 or be dethroned in thirkty days.
That did not go down well with the chiefs who immediately hit back and it is now left to be seen it the administration will back down or whether the chiefs will cave in.