There was double joy for South Africa in Saturday’s Two Oceans Marathon in Cape Town, with triple Comrades Marathon champion Bongumusa Mthembu winning the ultra-leg of the men’s section and Gerda Steyn claiming honours in the women’s section of the run.Mthembu, aged 35, crossed the finishing line in an impressive time of 3:08:40. He was closely followed by countryman David Gatebe in 03:10:30.
Justin Cheshire of Kenya (03:11:23) ‚ Sintayehu Yinesu of Ethiopia (03:12:34) and Mabuthile Lepopo (of Lesotho (03:16:04) completed the top five runners.
In the women’s section‚ Steyn was the first to the finish line in a time of 03:31:29‚ followed by Mamorallo Tjoka of Lesotho in 03:38:23.
Irvette van Zyl of South Africa (03:41:32)‚ Dominika Stelmach of Poland (03:50:12) and Jenna Challenor of South Africa (03:51:56) completed the top five places.
In the 21.1 km half-marathon‚ Elroy Galant of South Africa finished first in the men’s race in a time of 01:03:20‚ while Helaila Johannes of Namibia won the women’s race in 01:10:30.
Men’s Marathon Results:
1. Bongumusa Mthembu (RSA) 03:08:40
2. David Gatebe (RSA) 03:10:30
3. Justin Cheshire (KEN) 03:11:23
4. Sintayehu Yinesu (ETH) 03:12:34
5. Mabuthile Lepopo (LES) 03:16:04.
Women’s Marathon Results:
1. Gerda Steyn (RSA) 03:31:29
2. Mamorallo Tjoka (LES) 03:38:23
3. Irvette van Zyl (RSA) 03:41:32
4. Dominika Stelmach (POL) 03:50:12
5. Jenna Challenor (RSA) 03:51:56.