The Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Rogers Nicholas, has pledged a N5 million ($16,393) reward for information about bomb factories in or around Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State in northern Nigeria.Nicholas told journalists in Maiduguri on Thursday that the army was convinced that there was a bomb-making factory within Maiduguri from where suicide bombers have been operating.
He tasked the Civilian Joint Task Force and the recently inaugurated Neighbourhood Watch on intelligence gathering.
He also urged internally displaced persons who are returning to their communities to be vigilant and support the army as the task of providing security is a joint responsibility.
The move by the Theatre Commander follows recent bomb attacks in Borno State.
He noted that 35 suicide bombers have so far been taken out by security operatives in the theatre of operations, while at least 25 have been arrested in recent months.
Nicholas assured that the army would assist farmers in ploughing and demining farmlands.
He, however, warned that the use of fertilisers would be controlled to avoid making raw materials for producing IEDs readily available for criminals.
The army commander said more than one million people held captive had been rescued between December 2017 and June this year.